As part of a new aquarium that we are setting up in the platform next to the stairs in centre of our house, I decided to build an external filter instead of buying one.
Here is a video of it in action on a 2-week old aquarium.
Here is a list of parts and tools used:
- 1/2" Bulkhead Fitting (for 1/2" ID hose)
- Diamond Coated Hole Saw Set (for cutting hole on glass and ceramic materials)
- 1/2" ID Water Hose
- 12V 1.2A 640L/H Centrifugal Pump
- Common 1 to 2 Litre Food Preservation Jar (Preferably with flat surface for mounting bulkheads)
- 5/8" minimum hose clamp
- PVC Cement (for gluing down the 90-degree elbow that came with the linked bulkhead)
- 200W 1/2" Hose (ID) Inline Heater (As seen in images above)
- Lily Pipe Inflow & Outflow (for 13mm ID hose) (As seen in video above)
- Inline CO2 Diffuser & Bubble Counter & Check Valve (Not seen in demo above)
- Baking Soda + Citric Acid, CO2 Generator (Not seen in demo above)
The hose fits onto the pump a bit loose, and I will be using some proper hose clamps instead of the zip ties. The 1/2" bulkhead barb fits the hose very tightly, I had to dip the end of the hose in boiling-hot water to be able to slip them on.
When I was tightening the bottom bulkhead adapter onto the glass jar, I put too much force on the wrench and actually cracked the glass. Not sure if you can see in the images above but I used clear silicon over the crack to temporarily prevent it from leaking. I think I will have to buy another jar and be more careful next time.